Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Pepperoni-Cheeseburger Turnovers From the Nate Berkus Show
3 tablespoons canola oil
8 ounces of ground beef (I used ground Turkey)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
2 tablespoons granulated onion powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cooked thick-cut bacon (about 12 slices)
1 pound store-bought pizza dough
1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup diced onion
1 cup store-bought pizza sauce
1/2 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and stir well to mix. Cook the mixture, stirring, until the beef is well browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the fat from the pan, stir in the bacon, and set the mixture aside to cool.
Cut the pizza dough into quarters and, on a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter into a 5- to 6-inch diameter circle.
Stir the cheeses, onion, marinara, scallions, and pepperoni into the cooled beef mixture. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the mixture on one half of each circle of dough. Fold the dough over the filling into a half-moon and pinch the edges to seal.
Arrange the turnovers on a baking sheet, cut a few slits in them, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned and thoroughly heated. Serve hot or warm.
Note: Alternatively, the turnovers may be deep-fried in 375 degree oil for 5 to 6 minutes; turn to brown evenly and drain on paper towels.
Crust: (Double for Recipe above)
1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast OR RapidRise Yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water (120 to 130°F)*
3 tablespoons Mazola® Vegetable Plus! Oil
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
I love to cook and love my MasterCook program. My mom and I have been using this program for years..maybe 10ish. So I have been very hesitant to change loyalties but was desperate. I wanted to use my IPad but needed a good recipe app and Mastercook doesn’t have one (shame on them). So after researching I found this!
So far I have really liked it. It is really easy to use..all you have to do is know how to copy and paste on the Ipad and it will produce a shopping list.
Here is a one of the recipes I have added and am going to make:
Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes from Cate’s World Kitchen
- 22 Oreos: 16 left whole, and 6 coarsely chopped
- 2 8-oz packages cream cheese, at room temperature (Neufchatel is fine)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 275 F.
- Line 12 standard muffin tins and 4 ramekins (or 16 muffin tins, if you have them) with paper liners.
- Place 1 whole Oreo in the bottom of each lined cup.
- Beat the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium. Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla.
- Pour in the beaten eggs, a little at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream and salt.
- Stir in chopped cookies by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins, filling each almost to the top.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until filling is set, 22-25 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for about 15 minutes, on a wire rack, then transfer to a plate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.